Y’all, I cannot believe:
- that I did so well for so long on the 365 project
- that, given how well I was doing with the daily posting, how badly I am doing with it lately
I will really try to do better. Really.
Anyway, mostly for those of you who keep up with us mainly on facebook, here’s the story of our yesterday…
Emmett woke up yesterday morning with some pretty ugly wheezing. Like I think I’ve mentioned, all the kids have had colds.
I was able to get him in to the peds office that morning, so I dropped Noah off at school and took everyone else with me to the base.
The doc (not Dr. Bedpan – he’ll make an appearance later) gave him a breathing treatment and ordered some chest x-rays. I had to call Mike over from work to go in with Emmett because they won’t take kids back by themselves and they won’t let you leave your other kids in the waiting room. Love it.
Then we went back to the peds office for another breathing treatment and the results, which were:
- double ear infection (obv the x-rays didn’t show this)
- a focal area of pneumonia
- hyperinflated irritated lungs
So we went home with some oral steroids, an albuterol inhaler, some antibiotics and some numbing ear drops.
Whew…I was tired out after this 2 1/2 hour appointment, and as for Em? He was not. happy. But one of the reasons I took him in the first place was because he’s been SO UNHAPPY for the last week. I thought it was the cold and the increased seizure meds that were making him so irritable (we are talking pretty much non-stop crying here), but I wanted the pediatritian to check him out before I called the neurologist. Plus, you know, there was the wheezing.
I went and picked up Noah, fed everyone who eats lunch, and got everyone settled in for quiet time. I laid down on the couch and prepared to watch some HGTV.
Then the phone rang.
It was the doc we saw earlier, calling to tell me that the radiologist had reviewed the films, and he thought there might be a pneumothorax present. He wanted Emmett to get some more x-rays.
I asked if it would be ok to wait until Mike got home from work to bring him in to the ER at Eglin and just have them take the films. He said that would be fine as long as he was breathing ok.
I checked on Emmy, who was sitting in his crib, tongue hanging out, grinning away at his blocks. This was the most content he’d been all week.
I went back to the couch.
The phone rang again.
This time it was Dr. Bedpan’s nurse, Amy (who is super nice), calling to tell us that Dr. Bedpan, the doc from earlier today, and the radiologist had had a pow-wow, and they now think that we need to head into the er at Sacred Heart immediately (Dr.Bedpan doesn’t want us to go to Eglin), and that they will call Mike’s commander if he needs to come home to watch the kids.
I looked at Emmett again – still breathing easy, no wheezing, no nothing.
I said it wasn’t necessary to call Mike’s boss – its never really a question of them letting him off of work – its a question of Mike having work to do, and us not being willing for him to leave work every time Emmett needs to go to the doctor. I called Carolyn, who saved the day once again and came over to watch the boys until Mike came home at the normal time.
Emmett and I headed to Pensacola.
I’l spare you all the saga of the er – if you have ever been to a busy er, you know how it goes. To make it short and sweet:
- Em had more chest films taken
- he was poked 10 gazillion times trying to get blood and place an iv
- after an iv was finally placed, he pulled it out approximately 2 minutes later
- finally we decided to skip the iv antibiotics and fluids, after the doc told me that he did not have a pneumothorax, and the pneumonia didn’t look too bad, and his bloodwork wasn’t horrible either, and I pitched a small fit about him being tortured treated like a pincushion poked anymore.
- he got two IM antibiotic shots instead
- 5 1/2 hours after we arrived, we left with one prescription for a little stronger antibiotic than our original doc had given him, along with 1 supertired sick little boy and one supertired frustrated mom.
The lesson I learned from all of this?
Next time I will trust my gut. My gut told me yesterday morning that he needed to go to the doctor today. And he did. My gut also told me that he was fine yesterday afternoon – we had antibiotics, an inhaler, steroids, pain meds on hand, and he was comfortable – he was breathing absolutely normally. And you know what? He WAS fine. The entire trip to the er was a waste of time and lots of the insurance company’s money. We could have brought him into the base er last night, gotten the x-rays taken, been in and out in under 2 hours, and it would have been free.
Here’s the thing: my kid has special needs. LOTS of special needs. He is medically complex. But that doesn’t mean that he sometimes can’t be treated the same as any other “normal” sick kid.
And what Emmett needed more than anything yesterday afternoon was just what any sick kid needs – rest.