Good night, its just really hard to keep up with this blogging in the summertime, isn’t it?
Although I don’t know how that really applies to me, since none of my kids are in school yet.
Another project, yes?
oops, he’s still a work in progress :). Can you believe he’s almost 1 year old?
I finally tackled the mantle! Umm, actually I did this a couple of months ago, but whatevs.
Here’s the how-to:
- Pick a night when you don’t feel like painting furniture outside due to extreme heat/humidity/bugginess
- Open up the windows in the living room – remember to ventilate!
- Slap on a coat of no-sand latex primer
- Sand lightly
- Add 3 coats of olympic premium no-voc white paint (I can’t remember if we used semi-gloss or satin), sanding after each coat
- After the last coat, sand more to add a little character
- Then apply 3 coats of safecoat acrylac, sanding after each coat
- Wait a few days before setting anything on top of the mantle
Now, what I wish we would have done but didn’t is to really sand the mantle first – I don’t care if the primer says no-sand, I think it always pays to sand, and when we do the kitchen cabinets we will definitely sand first to let the primer adhere more to the wood. That being said, I’m really happy with how it turned out!
Oooh, and notice the big wooden H thing on the mantle – that was my mother’s day present. My guy did really good this year!