Mike and I have now made the switch – he’s at the hospital and I’m at home with O and Y…and I am so tired, so this will be short.
After hours and hours of waiting on the doctor’s to look at Emmett’s x-ray from this morning, they decided to pull his other chest tube. He still has a pneumothorax, and still has the pleural effusion. But the pneumothorax is smaller and that’s the side that the tube is on – its not helping the effusion, which is on the other side.
The x-ray following his chest tube removal showed effusion, according to Mike. They didn’t specify which side it was on, so we don’t know if its new or not. He’ll have yet another x-ray tomorrow.
For right now, he’s still on IV antibiotics (more on that below), still has the central line, is still on oxygen. I’m hoping that central line can come out tomorrow, because that is one of the places that infection can enter, and I personally saw him vomit several times where the line goes into his neck today. I’m not convinced its a real sterile area.
It is a really good thing that Mike is there now, because I was rapidly losing patience with the inefficiency of the hospital. Case in point: today I yelled (and not even semi) at one of the residents. Emmett gets amikacin every night – its an antibiotic that is only given once daily. However, before he gets it, he has to have his kidney enzymes checked. So he had blood pulled at 10 last night. His antibiotic was supposed to be given at midnight. This morning the night nurse told the day nurse during handover that he didn’t get the antibiotic, because the lab never posted his bloodwork results (although the tests had been done). So I asked several times throughout the morning, and Mike asked once too, in vain, if they had those results yet, so that Emmett could get his antibiotic (especially because he was running a fever again this morning, about which they tell us not to worry, because he’s getting antibiotics, exceot that he’s actually not getting them, is he?). Finally, at about 1 this afternoon, I found the resident who was supposed to be tracking the bloodwork down, and asked him what the results were. He said that someone would get back to me about it. I asked when exactly that might be, since my son has now been waiting 13 hours for this antibiotic. He said that they were pretty busy. I told him he didn’t look busy enough to be running 13 HOURS behind schedule.
Needless to say, I think the hospital is glad to see me go for a couple of days. And I shouldn’t have yelled, but dammit, that sort of stuff is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Not for my son or anyone else’s. And I must say, within 20 minutes of my tantrum, Emmett was getting his frappin antibiotics. Finally.
Alright, sorry for the not-so-short update. I am off to bed.