Just have time for a quick little update. Emmett had a really rough night the first night out of surgery – we’re talking uncontrollable writhing and screaming for about 3 hours – which of course left me hysterical as well, begging anyone to do SOMETHING for our poor little boy.
They ended up upping his morphine levels, then raised them again when the pain team evaluated him. So he pretty much spent yesterday totally sedated. I came home last night for some much needed sleep, but Mike said that he spent the whole night knocked out too, and so the nurses decreased his morphine. As of now, he’s still pretty sedated.
I guess they’ll decide in rounds if he’s ready to leave the PICU. Honestly, I’m hoping that the peds ward doesn’t have any beds, because the level of care in the PICU is just so much better. I would like to see him awake and comfortable before we go back to the land of begging for his care from overtaxed nurses. But if they feel like he’s ready to go back, and they have room for him, we’ll just have to deal. After all, there are definitely children who need the ICU more than Emmett right now.
So we’ll try to update later today – we’re really hoping that his gut will start working again soon, so he can start feeding and try to avoid having to get a central line for TPN feeding.
I think all in all, it is looking pretty unrealistic that we could go home in a week – right now we can’t even really pick him up.